Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I must be a runner

I often doubt that I am a runner. I doubt the most when I am around REAL runners. You know the type :perfectly toned, fatless bodies, Skimpy little clothes, long legs that seem to never end. Those people completely intimidate me. When I run near or around them I feel like a big fraud. I can hear what they are thinking, "Oh my goodness, look at the fat chick try to walk fast. I hope she doesn't cause an earthquake."

I haven't wanted to run daily while I am hear in Wyoming. I run for so many reasons, but one of the big things is to think. I spend a lot of time thinking about everything, and I enjoy the time alone. Well, here I am in a home that isn't my own, and I can really use the time to think and e alone. I would love to run daily for the alone time!

When we pulled into town it was 59 degrees. I was already thinking about the wonderful the running would be this week. Well, a cold front arrived shortly after we did and the snow followed shortly after. The snow has been light, but this morning when I headed it out there was a soft blanket over everything. It was a lovely 18 degrees out, but I was determined.

The run was not the easiest. I spent most of my time making sure my footing was secure. The sidewalks we fine because the thin layer of snow provided traction, but the intersections and driveways, were treacherous. I can't help but wonder what the "real" runners do when running these conditions.

I persevered and it felt great. I felt like a real runner. Sure, I am still the fat chick torturing the pavement, but I was out. I was doing proving to myself that I could do it even when it was 18 degrees and snowing in foreign territory.

No comments: